Chemo Day 1

4:29 PM

Sometimes when I sit down to update the blog I really have to ask myself, "where do I even start?!". Today this has really held true since I have come home from Mom's first chemo only to find my husband (Aaron) and I's dog ate three pairs of our shoes while I was gone. I am too hormonal for this doesn't he know?! At least it was just shoes :) 


After Mom's appointment last week we decided she needed a really great haircut since Dr. Sud said she would lose her hair (although apparently this is wrong information! Fingers crossed because her haircut is amazing). Mom went to see my hair dresser and I think I screamed when she sent me pictures of the final product. I will let the pictures do the talking, but holy moly, my Mom is a babe!














Mom also had her "chemo class" on Friday. Ironwood Cancer & Treatment Center's have new patient's attend a class going over their chemo regimen. Mom got to skip a lot of the nitty gritty since this is her third go around with chemo. This is when they told her she probably wouldn't lose her hair, but will have some days of feeling like crud. They also gave her a nausea medication regimen if she feels nauseated in the coming days after her chemo treatments. I loved this because they prepared Mom instead of having her call the doctor IF she got nauseated. This way she can tackle it right away vs waiting for meds ect!

My sister and my friends threw an amazing baby shower for Aaron and I this weekend. This baby is so lucky to have so many people who love him already! I could write about the shower for days, but in the end the best part was spending time with those we love!







C H E M O: DAY 1 (insert check mark here)

Mom had her first chemo today! Looking back I still can't believe how smooth it went. We went straight back and were greeted by the sweetest nurses. Mom's nurse today went over her plan and then accessed her port for the first time. Mom didn't even flinch! We were there for about 3 hours. Thankfully Mom got to sleep most of the time (they gave her Benadryl incase she had a reaction to the chemo). It was quiet for the first 30 minutes or so and then another patient had her family and probably 4 year old grandson come back. They were SO loud. We are usually not one to complain but they were so incredibly loud and the child was running around everywhere, helping himself to the "patient only" snacks, and slamming his hands on the patient computer keyboard. At one point he was in the chair behind me and I could smell the cheetos on his breath! Mom, Janet, and myself had wide eyes at each other more often than not. Writing about this is probably future child karma for me, BUT, there is a time and a place and a chemo room (where kids are not allowed anyway) where patients are trying to rest and focus is probably not the place for loud conversation and unsupervised children. I am done ranting now :). We got in the car after chemo and Mom held out her fist and said "One down!" and we all "pounded it". 


While we have been educated on the side effects of the chemo, we really won't know how the chemo will affect Mom. The majority of her side effects will hopefully only be the next few days. Mom is in good spirits and as we all know, she is going to kick ass! Thank you, as always, for all the kind words and gestures- I know we are all so appreciative! 

On the note of kind gestures, I have GOT to share a story. Back when I went to NAU, I joined a sorority [Chi Omega]. I loved Greek Life at NAU for so many reasons, but mostly because the whole Greek Life system was filled with some of the most genuine people I have ever met. I was proud not only to be apart of Chi Omega, but NAU Greek Life as a whole. Everyone hung out with everyone and supported each other no matter what fraternity or sorority they were in. This weekend I received the most beautiful bouquet of flowers from the women of Tri Delta that rushed and graduated the same time I did. I about had the wind knocked out of me. I feel compelled to share this because so often Greek life gets negative news, but the camaraderie that NAU Greek Life has does not only happen while you are in college, but well after you have graduated. Girls- I am so grateful for you and hope you know you brought both smiles and tears of gratitude to my Mom and I. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart!


Mom will have blood work drawn this Friday and then we start chemo again next Monday. Looking forward to a relaxing week! 








You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I am so greatful my BFF has such amazing daughters and friends! a special thanks to Janet Duke, Shelly Watkins and Kim Hensley for making time and flying out to be overnight care and just comfort companionship for her. The "just because' texts from Judi, Paula, Tammy, Roni, Charla,Sonja, Maureen and Cindy have all been shared with Lou and knowing that there is support in numbers is so comforting and helpful. For those of you who have sent cards, they are displayed in her house and truely bring her joy! Thanks to everyone for sharing, caring, and praying...Louann really appreciates it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to Kelli Bartlett for the beautiful Sheri's Berries gift. That was a wonderful surprise and totally made her day a bit brighter! Also thank you to Aileen Bell for the beautiful tulips and card. They are happy in some water and in view for her to see!
    Please keep the wishes and prayers coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just learned about your story on ABC World News. I'm from Phoenix, I lost both of my parents to pancreatic cancer. Both of my parents were cared for by Hospice of the Valley. Both of my parents died on a Sunday, they died 2 years and 11 months apart to the day. I was only 30 when my mom died and 33 when my dad died, my sister is 5 years younger than I am. Tomorrow, April 9, she is running the Purple Stride event in Phoenix. She is an organizer with PanCAn, the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. You are not alone. We have been there, we know the pain. Don't be afraid to find us on Facebook - Kimberlee Goodman and Elizabeth Goodman Canuas, we'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

.

.

Alexander Gals

Alexander Gals

.

.